By Michelle Albert
- The Fatah-affiliated Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades have threatened Sacha Baron Cohen’s life because of their inclusion in his latest film farce, Bruno. Fashionistas of the world, unite: Save Sacha! [Jewlicious]
- Persian Jews live the high life in Los Angeles. [W]
- According to cartoonist Rich Tenorio, the right beverage can solve even the stickiest problems. [TheDevilMadeMeBlogIt]
- Iranian protesters meeting to honor the people killed in the post-June 12 presidential election fracas were met with violence and tear gas. [NYT]
- Jewish author Michael Chabon dislikes circumcision. [Jewcy]
- Haaretz examines the rumors that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is a “self-hating Jew” and is turning the Obama administration against Israel. [Haaretz]
This week’s links are blissfully non-political. Enjoy:
— Angelina Jolie, who gave birth to twins in Paris on Saturday, has a Jewish obstetrician. Dr. Michel Sussmann was pleased the babies were born on a Shabbos: “The delivery was very emotional and exceptional as Ms. Jolie is a superstar, but I think that it happened on Shabbat made it that much more moving.”
— The Center for Kosher Culinary Arts, only the second professional kosher school in the world, and the only one in North America, is up and running in Flatbush, NY.
— An old Jon Stewart video has surfaced from 1999 (via Dovbear). The young (and in-need-of-a-haircut) Stewart pokes fun at a screaming match between Orthodox and Reform Jews at the Western Wall.
— Are you afraid of the decline of denim styles? Not to worry, Israeli designer Nathan Menashe (Freedom of Choice) has it under control.
— Sacha Baron Cohen (Da Ali G show, Borat) has an Oscar vote!
— Looks like you might have to put that nose job you were planning on hold. Judaism apparently frowns on cosmetic surgery.
— The Huffington Post satirizes the contentious New Yorker cover. (Oops. Did we say no politics?)