By Michelle Albert
- Just in time for Passover, Jewcy takes a look at haggadahs that suit the wise, wicked, simple and tongue-tied children in all of us. Check out Moment‘s article on A New Generation of Haggadah Art.
- Last week, Israeli police raided a warehouse containing seven tons of matzah with forged kosher certificates. The matzah was made with flour that is not kosher for Passover. Israeli police have warned citizens to be on the lookout for pirated matzah.
- Over 250 members of Congress have signed a letter addressed to Secretary of State Hilary Clinton that reaffirms their commitment to the “unbreakable” bond between the US and Israel.
- Lionsgate Entertainment has bought the rights to a film about a box brought to the United States by a Holocaust survivor that apparently contains a Jewish ghost. “It’s A Serious Man meets Ghostbusters!”
- A copy of Schindler’s list—the actual list, not the movie—is on sale for $2.2 million.
- The alleged use of forged British passports in the assassination of a Hamas operative in Dubai earlier this year has led the British government to expel an Israeli diplomat from the country.
- Sea Secret, a new swimwear company, has found their niche, catering to haredi women with a swimsuit that resembles a dress.
- Slate’s Emily Yoffe goes undercover as a bat mitzvah dancer.
By Michelle Albert
- Jewish singer Bob Dylan is working on an album of Christmas music. Puns such as “Sleigh Lady Sleigh” and “A Hard Reindeer’s A-Gonna Fall” are already making the rounds. [Reuters] (PS: read Moment’s article about Bob Dylan here.)
- A swastika was painted outside Georgia congressman David Scott’s door following a particularly heated health care debate. [NYTimes]
- A Dutch journalist claims that the swine flu was created by Jews as a plot to control the world’s population. Where is James Bond when you need him? [Haaretz]
- David Mamet, author of The Wicked Son: Anti-Semitism, Self-Hatred and the Jews, is going to write and direct the new film version of The Diary of Anne Frank for Disney. [ArtsBeat]
- Former Hadassah CFO Sheryl Weinstein claims she had an affair with Bernie Madoff. Expect all the sordid details in her book Madoff’s Other Secret: Love, Money, Bernie, and Me, due out August 25. [Forward]
- Assaf Harofeh Medical Center in Israel announced that, in order to prevent spreading the H1N1 virus (swine flu), mezuzahs in public places should be air-kissed. [ynet]
- Hitler is advertisement fodder. [Heeb]
By Michelle Albert
- The Fatah-affiliated Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades have threatened Sacha Baron Cohen’s life because of their inclusion in his latest film farce, Bruno. Fashionistas of the world, unite: Save Sacha! [Jewlicious]
- Persian Jews live the high life in Los Angeles. [W]
- According to cartoonist Rich Tenorio, the right beverage can solve even the stickiest problems. [TheDevilMadeMeBlogIt]
- Iranian protesters meeting to honor the people killed in the post-June 12 presidential election fracas were met with violence and tear gas. [NYT]
- Jewish author Michael Chabon dislikes circumcision. [Jewcy]
- Haaretz examines the rumors that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is a “self-hating Jew” and is turning the Obama administration against Israel. [Haaretz]
By Michelle Albert
- A new game show puts a rabbi, a priest, a Muslim imam and a Buddhist monk in a room with 10 atheists. Let the proselytizing begin! [Reuters]
- Forget about Reform, Conservative or Orthodox. Jewcy has denominations for today’s Jews. [Jewcy]
- Gershom Goreberg discusses his article for Moment on his site, then links to the full story on ours. [SouthJerusalem] Or, go straight to the source at momentmag.com.
- The Jewish Week examines the differences between Jewish and American mourning customs and discusses the hoopla over Michael Jackson’s funeral. [TheJewishWeek]
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu used the word”judenrein,” a term used by the Nazis, in regards to removing Jewish settlements from the West Bank. [JTA]
- Kosher surveillance cameras in Israeli restaurants? [BintelBlog]
- Rabbis launch a monthly hunger strike to protest Israel’s involvement in Gaza. [JTA]
- The first Israeli to be drafted by the NBA joins the Sacramento Kings. [TheJewishWeek]
By Michelle Albert
- Woody Allen speaks to NPR about his newest movie, the difference between life and fiction, and what he’s like off camera. [NPR]
- While religious hatred dominates the headlines, a rabbi reminds us that peaceful interfaith exchanges are, in reality, more widespread. [StarTrib]
- Moment columnist Gershom Gorenberg traces racism across Jewish lines, in both America and Israel. [SouthJerusalem]
- An American Al-Qaeda member reveals his Jewish background. [ynet]
- Hamas reportedly prevented an assassination attempt on former president Jimmy Carter during his trip to the West Bank. [Haaretz]
- Tel Aviv hosts a wedding for five gay couples. [JTA]
- How Jewish is your summer camp? This graph tells all. [MyJewishLearning]
- The best way to make zombies even scarier? Make them Nazis. [Forward]
- The Bible is on Twitter. [Heeb]
By Benjamin Schuman-Stoler
- NPR reported on Yiddish and Klezmer in Russia today. Judging by the above video, I’d say it’s doing just fine. Still corny as ever.
- Thanks to Heeb for pointing out Rahmfacts.com. Spend some time at the site and learn such brilliant nuggets of dubious knowledge as, “Even Rahm Emanuel’s mother calls him ‘Rahmbo.'”
- The New Yorker spoke with Emanuel’s rabbi. A good jew, this guy is. Oh, and their cartoon caricature of him is positively creepy. [via Nextbook]
- Two new news items re. Iran. First, they tested a missile purportedly for defense uses which has capability to reach Israel. Second, now that there’s an administration willing to talk to them (eventually), they’re getting skittish. [Washington Post]
- A mainstream Greek newspaper ran this headline after Obama’s victory last week: “The anticipated victory of Obama in the US elections signals the end of Jewish domination. Everything changes in the USA and we hope that it will be more democratic and humane.” What?! [Totally Jewish]
- I’ll bet you my complete James Bond DVD box set you didn’t know that on this date in 1791 King Louis XVI signed a proclamation giving Jews full rights. Check out the blog This Day … in Jewish History for nonstop party fun!
- Not sure if you care, but…Adam Sandler had another baby. A baby girl. Awwwwwwwwwww. [Jewtastic]
- Ew: I mean, I know that Andy Warhol peed on his canvasses, but this is worse. It’s called placenta art and involves, you guessed it, using one’s placenta as paintbrush. Srsly? [Ha’aretz]
- Stop bitching and pick up a knife. Activists, upset with the kosher meat industry, have taken matters into their own hands. [JTA]
- A profile of Jewish rapper Kosha Dillz. [Forward]
- Alan M. Dershowitz is endorsing Obama for President. [JPost Blogs]
- A US soldier was beat up. That soldier was Jewish. Is there a connection? [Jewish Journal]
- “What does make this an unusual election is that the Democratic candidate is largely unknown to the Jewish community. It’s relatively rare that that happens.” An interview with Jonathon Sarna on the election. [JUF News]
- Craving some unnecessarily bloody violence? Be patient. Quentin Tarantino started filming his Brad Pitt flick about killing a bunch of Nazis. [Nextbook]
- As long as Philip Roth keeps hating on Swedes, he’ll never win a Nobel Prize. [AP via 16th and Q]
- Who wins in a fight: Sarah Silverman or Jackie Mason? They’re battling over the election. I’ll take the one with more makeup. Which one is that? [Totally Jewish]